- March 7, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- A pivotal reform plan for the State Council – China’s cabinet – and a new leadership line-up are expected to be officially unveiled later this week, as the country’s top legislative body holds its key annual session.
- The changes were part of President Xi Jinping’s efforts to strengthen the ruling Communist Party’s role in top-level decision making, and tighten its control over the crucial finance and technology sectors.
- State Council secretary general Xiao Jie will brief lawmakers about the reform plan on Tuesday, according to the official schedule of the 14th National People’s Congress (NPC). NPC deputies will vote on the plan on 10 Mar.
- This comes with a new slate of top government leaders, including the premier, expected to be officially named and confirmed this weekend.
- Both the reforms and the new leadership have been approved by party elites, and the voting by the NPC deputies would give them the final stamp of legitimacy.
- Besides the reform plan vote, NPC deputies will also vote to endorse a new State Council leadership, completing a five-yearly power reshuffle.
External Link : https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3212453/chinas-two-sessions-xi-jinping-seen-tighten-communist-party-grip-state-council-reform-choice-new