- September 18, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The criteria for selecting the next chief of the Democrats will be decided at the party’s general assembly meeting on 26 Sep 18 now that at least two people have confirmed they are open to standing in the leadership race.
- The date for setting the criteria was established at a meeting of executives that was convened for the first time on 17 Sep 18 after the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) partially eased its long-held ban on political activities ban on 13 Sep 18.
- Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said the new system for electing the party’s leader, which he initiated, would conclude in Nov 18.
- The system was designed to embolden members to participate more actively in party affairs for a greater sense of loyalty and ownership. It should also guarantee the party is not in danger of being dominated by one individual, according to Mr Abhisit.
- He said party rules decreed that candidates who are party insiders require the endorsement of at least 20 former MPs and 2,000 registered members nationwide. “Outsider” candidates need twice as much backing.