- October 22, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- UMNO on 22 Oct 20 denied that infighting and mutiny in the party forced president Ahmad Zahid Hamid to announce a political ceasefire on 21 Oct 20.
- Annuar Musa, a Supreme Council member, denied reports of a heated four-hour meeting in which Zahid was pressured to make a decision on the ceasefire.
- “The report was clearly not true and there was no meeting during that time. The Umno president’s consideration takes into account the views of various parties and is his own decision,” he said in a Facebook post on 22 Oct 20.
- Malaysia Now alleged that Zahid was forced to make the decision after protest from Umno leaders angry over the backing of opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim instead of the Muhyiddin Yassin-led Perikatan Nasional.
- The report also claims that Zahid will postpone party elections scheduled for 2021.
- Annuar said Zahid’s decision is unilateral, adding that is puts the nation ahead of politics.
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/279825