- June 29, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- THE Yang di-Pertuan Agong, in his message to the Dewan Rakyat speakers and Dewan Negara heads, emphasised that Parliament should convene “as soon as possible”.
- In a statement on 29 Jun 21, Comptroller of the Royal Household Ahmad Fadil Shamsuddin said Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah had conveyed this to lower house speaker Azhar Azizan Harun and upper house president, Dr Rais Yatim during an audience on 29 Jun 21 morning.
- “This is to allow the Emergency Proclamation and its ordinance to be tabled in Parliament as stipulated under clause 150 of the federal constitution,” the statement read.
- This article outlined that both the proclamation and ordinances can be revoked if Parliament elects to do so.
- Azhar and Rais Yatim were joined by deputy speakers Mohd Rashid Hasnon and Azalina Othman Said along with Senate deputy president Mohamad Ali Mohamad for the audience.
- Ahmad Fadil said the Agong also felt that all Parliamentary Select Committees must continue meeting to provide check and balance.
- “This is to ensure an administration that is transparent, and acts with integrity and responsibility, especially on public policy issues, fiscal issues and public spending,” he said.
- Ahmad Fadil said the king had expressed his appreciation and gratitude to the Parliament for its commitment and readiness to convene a parliamentary meeting as soon as possible.
- “It should be clarified that the views and calls expressed are the position of the king and Malay rulers, who act as the constitutional monarchy based on the principle of the supremacy of the federal constitution and its rule of law,” he said in the statement.
- On his part, deputy speaker Rashid has opined that parliament will only convene after the Yang di-Pertuan Agong has been advised on the matter by Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin.
- He said the house will convene either through a hybrid or conventional sitting.
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/324369
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/324364