- March 21, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The government plans to expand the number of non-cash food assistance program (BPNT) recipients from the current 1.2 million to 3.2 million households.
- The government is assessing the preparedness of the e-warung (electronic shops), which are appointed to handle the distribution of staple foods in 24 regencies and cities, said Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister Puan Maharani in Jakarta on 20 Mar 18.
- Puan said with the addition of 24 regencies and cities, the number of BPNT recipients will be up by 2 million households to 3.2 million.
- National Development Planning Minister Bambang Brodjonegoro said the decision to expand the BPNT recipients would be decided at a Cabinet meeting with President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo.
- The government also aims to shift its social aid for poor people from rice assistance (Rastra) to BPNT. At present, the government disburses Rastra to 14.3 million households and BPNT to 1.2 million households.
- Under the BPNT scheme, recipients are eligible to get eggs and rice worth IDR110,000 per month while the Rastra scheme allows recipients to get up to 10kg of rice per month.