- September 7, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol addressed several key issues at the East Asia Summit, highlighting North Korea’s serious violations of United Nations Security Council sanctions.
- While not explicitly naming countries, his remarks seemed directed at Russia and China, emphasizing the responsibility of UNSC permanent members in approving sanctions.
- Yoon stressed the need for all UN member states to enforce sanctions on North Korea, including restricting illegal arms trade.
- He also called for halting North Korea’s illegal activities, including virtual asset theft, overseas worker deployment, and maritime trans-shipments that fund nuclear and missile development. Yoon expressed concern about the Russia-Ukraine conflict, emphasizing the “Ukraine Peace Solidarity Initiative.”
- Regarding the South China Sea dispute, he called for a rules-based maritime order and expanded maritime security cooperation with ASEAN. Yoon also expressed support for ASEAN’s efforts to address the crisis in Myanmar and emphasized closer cooperation between South Korea, the US, and Japan in the Indo-Pacific region.
External Link : https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230907000673