- February 22, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Chinese leader Xi Jinping is preparing to visit Moscow for a summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in the coming months.
- Xi’s meeting with Putin will be part of a push for multiparty talks on peace in Ukraine and allow China to reiterate its calls that nuclear weapons not be used, the report added. Russia invaded Ukraine on 24 Feb 22.
- Preparations for the trip at an early stage and the timing has not been finalised, the Wall Street Journal said, adding that Xi could visit in Apr 23 or in early May 23, when Russia celebrates its World War II victory over Germany.
- China’s top diplomat Wang Yi arrived in Moscow on 21 Feb as the country appears to be ramping up its diplomatic effort to push for a peace settlement in Ukraine, and just hours after Putin announced Russia was suspending its participation in a landmark nuclear arms treaty with the United States.
- Wang is likely to discuss Xi’s trip while he is in Moscow.