- April 27, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Chinese President Xi Jinping spoke to Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskiy on 26 Apr for the first time since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, fulfilling a longstanding goal of Kyiv which had publicly sought such talks for months.
- Zelenskiy, describing the hour-long phone call as “long and meaningful”, signalled the importance of the chance to open closer relations with Russia’s most powerful friend, naming a former cabinet minister as Ukraine’s new ambassador to Beijing.
- Xi told Zelenskiy that China would send special representatives to Ukraine and hold talks with all parties seeking peace, Chinese state media reported.
- Zelenskiy said in an evening video address that there was “an opportunity to use China’s political power to reinforce the principles and rules that peace should be built upon.”
- “Ukraine and China, like the absolute majority of the world, are equally interested in the strength of the sovereignty of nations and territorial integrity,” he said.
- Zelenskiy also said Xi had expressed “words of support” for the extension of a deal to export Ukrainian grain from its Black Sea ports. Moscow has said the pact will not be renewed beyond 18 May unless the West removes obstacles to Russian grain and fertiliser exports.
- China will focus on promoting peace talks, and make efforts for a ceasefire as soon as possible, Xi told Zelenskiy, according to the Chinese state media reports.
External Link : https://www.reuters.com/world/chinas-xi-says-he-will-send-representatives-ukraine-hold-talks-crisis-2023-04-26/