- June 14, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Vice president of the upper house of the Italian parliament Gian Marco Centinaio arrived in Taiwan on 14 Jun for a six-day trip, marking the highest-level Italian parliamentary visit to Taiwan since 1970, according to Taiwan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA).
- Centinaio and his delegation will meet with President Tsai Ing-wen, Legislative Speaker You Si-kun, Health Minister Hsueh Jui-yuan, and head of the Council of Agriculture (COA) Chen Chi-chung during the visit from 14 to 19 Jun, the ministry said in a press release on 14 Jun.
- The three-person delegation will also meet with Deputy Economics Minister Chen Chern-chyi and Tainan Mayor Huang Wei-che of the ruling Democratic Progressive Party, as well as attend a banquet hosted by Foreign Minister Joseph Wu, the release said.
- Centinaio’s arrival represents the highest-level visit by an Italian parliamentarian since the Republic of China, Taiwan’s official name, severed diplomatic relations with Italy in 1970, according to the ministry.
- The delegation aims to gain a deeper understanding of Taiwan and explore opportunities for bilateral collaboration in the fields of politics, trade, technology, and culture among others, the ministry said.
External Link : https://focustaiwan.tw/politics/202306140014