- October 28, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Foreign arrivals breached the four million mark in the first eight months as new key markets for Philippine tourism emerge, an official of the Department of Tourism (DOT) said.
- In the Philippine Aviation Day forum on 27 Oct 17, Tourism Undersecretary Rolando Canizal announced that international arrivals reached 4.4 million from Jan – Aug 17, up 10% y/y.
- The tourism department aims to hit the 7 million mark in international arrivals in 2017 compared to the 5.9 million arrivals recorded in 2016.
- Canizal said the growth in arrivals was driven by the efforts of the government and the private sector, particularly hoteliers, airlines, to promote tourism across the country.
- He said the country’s tourist arrivals in Aug 17 continued to be driven by key markets and as well as the entrance of new markets. South Korea accounted for 24% of foreign arrivals during the period. Other top Asian source markets are China, Japan and Taiwan.
- Canizal said India is emerging as a new source market for Philippine tourism, as it now ranks the 12th largest source market for the Philippines. This was attributed to “the very good connection of the Philippines and India.”