- May 12, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The House of Representatives will not tackle ABS-CBN franchise bills just yet, as House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano said it will “put the interest of the Filipino people first.”
- Cayetano responded to the letter of 14 of his colleagues — authors of franchise renewal bills at the House — and urged him to convene the Committee on Legislative Franchises and act “with dispatch” on the proposed measures on the network’s franchise.
- In their letter to Cayetano, the lawmakers noted that while there are other measures that need Congress’ action, the ABS-CBN franchise issue is as important, taking into account its “impact, economically and politically.”
- The House speaker said that the House of Representatives remains cognizant of its responsibility in the network’s franchise issues, but stressed: “Your House of the People will put the interest of the Filipino people FIRST, and in these extraordinary times prioritization, fairness and timing is of utmost importance.”
- Cayetano also added that Congress is “re-aligining” its priorities by “passing urgent legislation that would maximize emerging socio-economic opportunities for our people; including but not limited to the Services, Health, Education, Agriculture, Tourism, Construction and Manufacturing sectors.”