- November 30, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Chinese firms Sinovac Biotech and Clover Biopharmaceuticals may start Phase 3 of the clinical trials of their respective COVID-19 vaccines here by Dec 19 or Jan 20.
- The two Chinese drugmakers are the first ones to pass evaluation of the country’s vaccine expert panel to conduct clinical trials of their candidate vaccine in the Philippines.
- Dr. Jaime Montoya, executive director of the Department of Science and Technology’s (DOST) Council for Health Research and Development, said the two Chinese firms are currently seeking the approval of the Single Joint Research Ethics Board as well as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- The government is targeting to vaccinate 75 to 80 percent of the population to achieve herd immunity against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), the country’s vaccine czar and chief implementer of the National Task Force against COVID-19 said.
- “Our target is at least 25 to 30 million [Filipinos] a year,” Sec. Carlito Galvez Jr. said in an interview on ABS-CBN News Channel.
- Healthcare workers, Galvez pointed out, will be prioritized, followed by the poor and vulnerable sectors, essential workers, and frontliners including police officers and soldiers.