- October 5, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Thirty-five years since the historic ouster of his dictator father, former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. announced his bid for Malacañang, marking the family’s second attempt to return to the Palace.
- In a pre-recorded video, he said: “I am announcing here today my intention to run for the presidency of the Philippines in the coming May 22 elections. I will bring that form of unifying leadership back to our country.”
- In his short speech, Marcos said the pandemic has destroyed the lives of people, and it is a challenge that the country must face as one.
- On 5 Oct 21 morning, Marcos posted on his Facebook page that he had joined Partido Federal ng Pilipinas, which was formed by Agrarian Reform Secretary John Castriciones and other allies of the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte in 2018.
- Marcos was previously with the Villar-led Nacionalista Party.
- Marcos was also nominated the presidential bet of Kilusang Bagong Lipunan, the former ruling party founded by his father and namesake.
- He has also been endorsed by the Labor Party of the Philippines and Partido Lakas ng Mangagawang Pilipino.
- In 2020, Marcos was accused of tapping controversial political data company Cambridge Analytica to change perceptions on his family on social media — an allegation his camp denied.
- The former senator has distanced himself and the Marcos clan from abuses and corruption during his father’s dictatorship, when thousands of human rights violations were recorded and millions were plundered from the nation’s coffers
- Marcos ranked second in the latest Pulse Asia pre-election survey for presidency, behind only Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte who stated that she would not run for the chief executive post in the 2022 elections
- In the said poll, 15% of Filipinos would have voted for Marcos as president if elections were held on 6-11 Sep 21, the period when the survey was conducted.
External Link : https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2021/10/05/2131118/bongbong-marcos-announces-bid-presidency