- December 17, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto filed a 3rd Bayanihan bill to prop up the Philippine economy reeling from the COVID-19 pandemic and a series of devastating tropical cyclones in Luzon.
- The bill is seeking to pour PHP485bn into post-disaster relief and pandemic recovery, including an additional fund of PHP110bn for the COVID-19 vaccination program.
- Recto filed the Bayanihan to Rebuild as One bill on 14 Dec 20 afternoon. The bill was published on the Senate website on 16 Dec 20.
- It is a follow-up to the Bayanihan to Heal as One (Bayanihan 1) and Bayanihan to Recover as One (Bayanihan 2) laws that were passed earlier in 2020 to address the pandemic.
- “If we were quick to act on Bayanihan 1 and 2, certainly, we can fast-track this Bayanihan 3 as a continuing response to soften the impact of an economic downturn, accelerate the economic recovery of the country, and respond to the urgent needs of areas battered by the recent typhoons,” Recto wrote in his bill’s explanatory note.
- The proposed 2021 national budget and the Bayanihan 2 law will provide a combined PHP82.5bn for COVID-19 vaccines in 2021. This proposed Bayanihan 3 measure would increase that amount to PHP137.5bn.
- The proposed measure is the Senate’s counterpart of House Bill No. 8031, filed by Marikina City 2nd District Representative Stella Quimbo in mid-Nov 20. Recto said his bill “essentially adopts” the House bill, but it will be open to amendments by senators.
External Link : https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1372646/congress-eyes-bayanihan-3