- June 16, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The government expects to announce bidding terms for an aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) hub worth THB11bn in Oct 18 and to name the winning bidder and sign the contract in 1Q19.
- Kanit Sangsubhan, secretary-general of the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) Office, said the MRO hub at U-Tapao airport is meant to support the flagship Eastern Economic Corridor and aviation flows throughout Asia.
- Authorities held their first “market sounding” to gauge interest and answer questions from businesses about the U-Tapao project, with 200 companies taking part including GMR Group Airport, Enterprise Singapore, PTT Group, CP Group and King Power.
- A submission of questionnaires will take place on 22 Jun 18, and a second market sounding will occur in Sep 18 before the bidding terms are formally announced.
- Navy chief Naris Pratoomsuwan said the capacity of U-Tapao would be upgraded to handle huge volumes of passengers, freight and aircraft. The upgrade includes airport expansion with the construction of a second runway and taxiway, as well as a third terminal and development of aviation-related industries, including MRO facilities, an aviation training centre, a cargo village and a commercial precinct.