- July 15, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak and four other Cabinet members tendered their resignations on 15 Jul 20 after mounting pressure from the Palang Pracharath Party (PPRP) since the party’s leadership reshuffle.
- The prime minister told his close aides that he was informed about their decision but has not seen the resignation letters.
- The resignations will clear the way for a cabinet reshuffle demanded by PPRP after supporters of Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon pushed for him to become the new party leader in Jun 20, replacing Mr Uttama.
- Mr Uttama, Mr Sontirat, Mr Suvit and Mr Korbsak quit PPRP on 9 Jul 20 to formally end ties with the party they had co-founded. Some party members demanded the resignation of Mr Somkid and his economic team after Gen Prawit took the helm.
- The four were brought into the economic team by Mr Somkid in the military government formed after the 2014 coup.
- Preedee Daochai, chairman of Thai Bankers’ Association, reportedly will be a candidate to take charge of economic policy in a new cabinet line-up.