- May 6, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The government will hand out THB7,000 each for four million people with high purchasing power and launch a new phase of “Khon La Khrueng” co-payment scheme as part of a new relief package worth THB225bn.
- The total sum is aimed, through various schemes, to help 51 million people affected by the latest wave of Covid-19 which had claimed 318 lives with cumulative infections of 74,900 as of 5 May 21.
- Under the new package which will go before cabinet next week, the government will launch a “Ying Chai Ying Dai” (the more you spend, the more you get) scheme to give away e-vouchers to people from Jul to Sep 21 to encourage them to buy food, products and services through the government’s e-wallet.
- Each person participating in the scheme can spend up to THB5,000 per day. The e-vouchers can be used from Aug-Dec 21. Four million people are expected to participate.
- The scheme focuses on middle and high income people to increase local purchasing power.
- In addition, the relief package also consists of the THB67bn extension of the “Rao Chana” scheme, a THB18.5bn new phase of the “Section 33 Rao Rak Kan” scheme and other measures worth around THB140bn in total to assist people affected by Covid-19.
- The measures will likely take place from Jul to Dec 21. Under the Rao Chana scheme, an additional THB1,000 will be given to 32.9 million eligible people each week for two weeks. The handout can be spent until Jun 21.
- Some 9.27 million members under Section 33 of the Social Security Act will be given an additional THB1,000 each week for two weeks under the Rao Rak Kan scheme. The handout can be spent through the government’s e-wallet app “Pao Tang” until Jun 21.
- For medium- to high-income people, the “Khon La Khrueng” co-pay scheme will be continued in phase 3 to give THB3,000 handouts to people to buy food and other products with the government paying for half of the purchase.
- Some 31 million people are expected to participate in the scheme. Water and electricity bill discounts will be given to homeowners and small enterprises from May to Jun 21.
External Link : https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2110771/govt-unveils-b225bn-relief-plan