Thailand: Government bets on local tourism

  • The cabinet on 30 Jun 20 approved two stimulus packages worth THB 22.4bn to revitalise domestic tourism which has been left reeling from the Covid-19 pandemic.
  • The packages will start on 1 Jul 20 and run until 31 Oct 20, said deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul.
  • Two packages – “Happiness-sharing trips” and “Let’s travel” have now been merged and are known as “We travel together”, she said.
  • The “Happiness-sharing trips” package worth THB 2bn is to subsidise domestic flight fares, inter-provincial bus fares and car rental fees for a total of 2 million people.
  • The “Let’s travel” package worth THB 18bn will fund subsidies for accommodation, food and other services provided at tourist destinations.
  • The government will subsidise 2 million air tickets, with the subsidy limited to THB2,000 per person. It will also subsidise five million nights of hotel accommodation at 40% of normal room rates, with the subsidy limited to THB3,000 per night for up to five nights. Tourists will be responsible for the other 60%.
  • Subsidies for other services, including food, are capped at THB600 per room per night. The subsidised tourist facilities must be outside the tourists’ home provinces to qualify. The subsidies are limited to 40% of actual expenses, with tourists paying the rest.

External Link : https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1943560/govt-bets-on-local-tourism

1-Jul-2020


Leave a Reply