- January 20, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Parliament will convene for the second reading of charter amendment drafts on 24-25 Feb 21, it was announced on 19 Jan 21.
- The decision was made after House Speaker Chuan Leekpai met with chief government whip Wirach Ratanasate, of the Palang Pracharath Party, and chief opposition whip Sutin Klungsang, of the main opposition Pheu Thai Party.
- The meeting was scheduled to consider adding extra days to debate charter amendment drafts to compensate for the two-week suspension of parliamentary sessions as a result of the recent uptick in Covid-19 cases.
- The joint meetings on 24-25 Feb 21 will see MPs and senators hear proposed amendments to Section 256 of the charter, which will pave the way for the creation of a charter-drafting committee.
- The second and third hearings on the national referendum bill will take place on 17-18 Mar 21, followed by the all-important vote on the proposed amendments.
- The bill is crucial to the process, as any changes to the constitution must be approved through a referendum.