- May 20, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Thailand is aiming to administer one shot of a coronavirus vaccine to 70% of its population by Sep 21, its health minister said on 19 May 21 as it seeks to provide protection for more people faster amid its deadliest outbreak so far.
- “We will focus on the first shots of vaccination to meet the target of 70% of the population by Sep 21,” Thai Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said in a statement.
- He reassured the public there would be no need to reserve a second shot as there would be doses available.
- The government had previously aimed to vaccinate the 70% needed to reach herd immunity by the end of 2021 but has been criticised for being slow to procure vaccines and for a strategy that had relied overwhelmingly on one manufacturer, AstraZeneca.
- Thailand is scheduled to start its main drive in Jun 21, when locally manufactured AstraZeneca doses are available.
External Link : https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailand-aims-to-vaccinate-70-pct-of-people-by-september-health-minister-says