- June 8, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Taiwan activated its defence systems on 8 Jun after reporting 37 Chinese military aircraft flying into the island’s air defence zone, some of which then flew into the western Pacific, in Beijing’s latest mass air incursion.
- Taiwan’s defence ministry said that from 5 a.m. it had detected 37 Chinese air force planes, including J-11 and J-16 fighters as well as nuclear-capable H-6 bombers, flying into the southwestern corner of its air defence identification zone, or ADIZ.
- The ADIZ is a broader area Taiwan monitors and patrols to give its forces more time to respond to threats.
- Some of the Chinese aircraft flew to Taiwan’s southeast and crossed into the western Pacific to perform “air surveillance and long distance navigation training”, the ministry said in a statement.
- Taiwan sent its aircraft and ships to keep watch and activated land-based missile systems, it added, using its standard wording for how it responds to such Chinese activity.