- July 29, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- In spite of the apprehensions raised by many senators about taking up the second package of the Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion law (TRAIN 2), there is still a possibility the measure could be approved in 2018 as requested by President Duterte, Senate President Vicente Sotto III said on 28 Jul 18.
- Sotto said the cautious attitude of the senators toward the tax measure was due in large part to the impact of the first package of TRAIN, which was implemented at the start of 2018, on consumers.
- Many senators have criticized the TRAIN law, specifically the provision raising the excise tax on fuel, because of its effect on inflation.
- Consumers have been complaining about the rise in the prices of basic goods, which they attribute to the added cost brought about by the increase in pump prices.
- Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri has stated that no senator is willing to file a bill on TRAIN 2 and to defend it in the plenary.
- The hesitation against supporting TRAIN 2 now is even more evident among the senators running for re-election in May 19 because tax measures are highly unpopular among the electorate.