- March 9, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol and his wife will visit Japan from 16 to 17 Mar at Tokyo’s invitation, his office said on 9 Mar, the first such visit in 12 years after Seoul announced a plan to end a protracted dispute over wartime forced labour.
- Yoon will hold a summit meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida.
- “The visit… will be an important milestone in the improvement and development of relations between South Korea and Japan,” Yoon’s office said in a statement.
- Yoon’s office said he hoped to expand various security, economy, and cultural fields, and revitalise exchanges between people in the two countries “in order to overcome the unfortunate history of the past and move forward into the future.”
- South Korea’s defence ministry said on 7 Mar it would work with Japan to enhance security cooperation, including trilateral relations with the United States.
- “I hope that through this visit to Japan, Japan-Korea relations will further develop based on the friendly and cooperative relations that have existed since the normalization of diplomatic relations,” Japan Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said at a briefing.
External Link : https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/skoreas-yoon-visit-japan-first-such-trip-12-years-2023-03-09/