- May 16, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Singapore and Shanghai’s relationship can be a vanguard of the new partnership between the island state and China, Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong told Shanghai party chief Chen Jining on 15 May.
- Since the Chinese financial hub has always been at the forefront of China’s reform and opening-up campaign, the collaborative relationship between Singapore and Shanghai can be a “pathfinder for more exciting, more ground-breaking projects”, said Mr Wong.
- This was his first meeting with Mr Chen since becoming deputy prime minister, and since Mr Chen was promoted to Shanghai’s top position.
- With China reopening its borders after three years of Covid-19, Singapore’s leaders have wasted no time in making trips here to renew ties in person and to see the country’s development.
- Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan came in February, followed by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in late March on his first trip since 2019.
- While here, PM Lee met President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Qiang as the two countries announced they would upgrade bilateral relations to an “all-round, high-quality, future-oriented partnership”.
External Link : https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/singapore-and-shanghai-cooperation-can-be-vanguard-of-new-upgraded-ties-with-china-dpm-wong