- March 21, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Mr Vladimir Putin said Russia is ready to discuss China’s initiative for ending the conflict in Ukraine, welcoming Chinese President Xi Jinping for a three-day visit that underlines Beijing’s support for Moscow.
- “We’ve carefully studied your proposals to resolve the acute crisis in Ukraine,” Mr Putin told Mr Xi in televised comments at the start of their one-on-one talks in the Kremlin on 20 Mar. “We’ll discuss all these issues, including your initiative, which we of course view with respect.”
- The trip to Moscow marks Mr Xi’s most ambitious attempt yet to play the role of peacemaker as he seeks to broker an end to Russia’s war in Ukraine.
- Kyiv has been cool to Beijing’s plan, while the US and its allies have rejected it outright.
- After his talks in Moscow, Mr Xi is expected to speak by video link with President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, his first conversation with the Ukrainian leader since the start of the war.
- In his comments to Mr Putin, Mr Xi didn’t mention the invasion and said there’s room for Russia and China to boost cooperation.
- “China highly values the relationship with Russia,” Mr Xi said. “I am delighted to be in Russia as my first state visit after being re-elected as the Chinese president.”
External Link : https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/putin-tells-xi-he-ll-discuss-china-s-blueprint-for-ukraine