- January 23, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- In a notice issued over the weekend, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said the Philippines had been dropped from the list of countries eligible for H-2A/H-2B work visas, due to concerns over human trafficking and overstaying raised by the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS). This is effective from 19 Jan 19 to 18 Jan 2020.
- “In FY 2017, DHS estimated that nearly 40% of H-2B visa holders from the Philippines overstayed their period of authorized stay,” the DHS said in its notice published in the Federal Register.
- The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said the Philippines is ready to work with the US in addressing the issues.
- Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said there is a need first to know whether there is basis for the US move. If their investigation yields that there was a violation, I don’t think we can interfere. What we can do is to do our own controls here.
- Nonetheless, the Malacanang is not ruling out an appeal but said it would rather let the DFA work it out first with the US embassy.
- Panelo added there are other countries where Filipinos can look for greater opportunities. – with Christina Mendez