- July 10, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Even after Malacañang’s formal acceptance on 9 Jul 18 of its copy of a draft federal constitution prepared by a special panel, senators said they would not be rushed into studying more proposals regarding the administration’s push for a federal system of government through Charter change.
- Senate President Vicente Sotto III said the chamber, for one, has yet to receive the draft written by the Concom and would have to conduct hearings on the proposal.
- He said it would be too early to say when the proposal would be scheduled for hearings as both chambers of Congress have yet to agree on their legislative calendar for the third regular session, which opens on 23 Jul 18.
- Sen. Francis Pangilinan, chairman of the Senate committee on constitutional amendments, said the panel is still conducting hearings on previously filed measures on Charter change. He described the Concom’s draft as an “input” to the discussions of the committee.
- The draft contains the creation of 18 federal states, including the Negrosanon Federated Region (NFR). Based on Concom’s proposal, the NFR will comprise Negros Occidental and Oriental and Siquijor.
- The Negros Island Region created on 29 May 15 through an executive order issued by then president Benigno Aquino III consisted of Negros Occidental and Oriental. Duterte abolished the setup through another executive order on 9 Aug 17.