- May 14, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The Philippines has placed navigational buoys within its exclusive economic zone (EEZ) to assert sovereignty over the disputed Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, a coast guard spokesperson said on 14 May.
- The step comes amid China’s increasingly aggressive actions in the South China Sea as Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos Jr pursues warmer ties with treaty ally the United States.
- The Philippine Coast Guard said it set up five buoys carrying the national flag from 10-12 May in five areas within the 322km zone, including the Whitsun Reef, where hundreds of Chinese maritime vessels moored in 2021.
- In May 22, the coast guard installed five navigational buoys on four islands in the Spratlys.
- China’s claim of sovereignty over almost the entire South China Sea was invalidated by an international arbitration ruling in 2016.
External Link : https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/philippines-places-buoys-parts-schina-sea-assert-sovereignty-2023-05-14/#:~:text=China%20Sea%20to%20assert%20sovereignty,-Reuters&text=MANILA%2C%20May%2014%20(Reuters),guard%20spokesperson%20said%20on%20Sunday