- April 25, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Former President Fidel V. Ramos believes the Philippines can go on an “economic war” with China but only on a tiny scale after Beijing’s aggressive moves in the South China Sea.
- “If we are talking about war on a tiny scale, maybe more on economics than anything else, yes we can go to war because it’s a reciprocal thing,” he said in an interview with ANC’s Headstart.
- He said the economic war against China “on a very small basis” could be in the form of buying and promoting “what we can manufacture better than China.”
- Ramos said reports that China’s Coast Guard fired 7 times at a Philippine fishing boat near a Chinese-occupied section of the Spratly archipelago on 27 Mar 17 is “pure harassment [by] Chinese forces.”
- Meanwhile, President Rodrigo Duterte earlier said that he continues to honour his agreement with Chinese President Xi Jinping to ease tensions between their countries.