- December 4, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The Commerce Ministry is speeding up concluding talks for Thailand to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), aiming to join this pact before the general election in Feb 19.
- Sontirat Sontijirawong, the commerce minister, chaired the third round of the CPTPP working group on 3 Dec 18 that considered if Thailand becomes a member.
- “A decision on whether to join the trade pact will be disclosed by the Thai government soon, with the CPTPP taking effect on 30 Dec 18,” said Mr Sontirat.
- Mr Sontirat said the trade pact must provide the country with the best benefits upon joining, and the government has to seek measures and remedies for other stakeholders who suffer from the CPTPP.
- For the CPTPP participation plan, the Trade Negotiations Department ran five public forums during Aug18 – Sep 18 and more than 1,400 people in many related sectors in 40 provinces attended.
- The CPTPP covers a wide range trade of goods and services, investment, capital movement, state procurement, e-commerce, intellectual property, competition policy, labour and environment.
External Link: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/1587102/ministry-hastens-to-make-cptpp-deal-before-february