- October 1, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Umno has cried foul over the Election Commission’s (EC) selection of dates for the Tanjung Piai by-election, claiming that the body is not impartial.
- Its secretary-general Tan Sri Annuar Musa accused the EC of deliberately selecting 2 and 16 Nov 19 for the nomination and polling dates respectively. Umno is scheduled to hold its annual general assembly from 13 to 16 Nov 19.
- Besides Umno, MCA is also affected by the by-election dates as the party is scheduled to hold its annual general meeting on 2 and 3 Nov 19. MCA has similarly raised questions over the nomination and polling dates for the Tanjung Piai parliamentary by-election.
- “This is being done to disadvantage Umno. Indirectly, the EC is seen to be helping Pakatan Harapan – especially Bersatu (Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia) – to retain the Tanjung Piai seat,” said UMNO Secretary General Annuar in an interview with Umno Online.
- Annuar said the matter would be raised at the party’s management meeting.
- He said despite this, the Opposition will not allow Pakatan to “tie its hands and feet” in fighting for the people.