- January 7, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- UMNO will hold a general assembly at the end of Jan 21, when it will debate and decide on all the resolutions made by the party’s divisions, including on breaking ties with its splinter, Bersatu.
- Umno information chief Shahril Hamdan said the supreme council had decided on this at its three-hour meeting on 6 Jan 21.
- “The resolutions touch on policy and approach that will have an impact on the party’s future and the country,” said Shahril in a statement.
- “The meeting decided to table these resolutions at the annual general meeting on 31 Jan 21 for delegates to debate and decide at its highest forum as provided in the party’s constitution,” he said.
- Apart from deciding on its ties with Bersatu in the coming general election, the divisions had also resolved to strengthen the party’s ties with PAS, through the Muafakat Nasional pact.
- The divisions had also demanded the 15th general election be held before the end of Apr 21 but depending on the Covid-19 situation in the country.
- However, in a statement issued late on 6 Jan 21, Bersatu information chief Wan Saiful Wan Jan said the party decided to only agree to elections once the Covid-19 situation subsides and becomes manageable.
- “Bersatu is of the view that a general election should only be held when the development of the Covid-19 pandemic is at a better and more controlled level,” he said.
- Wan Saiful also took a veiled jab at Umno and urged the party to stick with the original consensus between the parties, agreed upon unanimously before the formation of the PN government in Feb 20.
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/293774