- January 19, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Umno is not only confident of winning comfortably if the Johor state assembly elections are held in the near future but is also optimistic that it can “kill off” Bersatu.
- A party source who is part of the central leadership explained that Umno really wanted the PRN to be held in the near future to get a new stronger mandate.
- The Barisan Nasional -led Johor state government currently has the advantage of only one state seat following the death of Kempas assemblyperson Osman Sapian on 21 Dec 21, with BN having 16 state seats, Bersatu 11 and PAS one, while the opposition Harapan has 27 seats.
- “Umno is optimistic that we will not only be able to win comfortably, but this is also the best time to weaken Bersatu. “If we want to ‘kill’ Bersatu, this is the chance, then in GE15,” the source told Malaysiakini.
- On 18 Jan 22, Bernama reported that Johor Menteri Besar Hasni Mohammad ducked the question when asked about the possibility of the state elections being held after the Chinese New Year celebration.
- When asked about the matter, the Johor Umno chairperson just laughed and stressed that, in fact, what is more important is the justification why the election should be held.
- Bersatu, through its secretary-general Hamzah Zainudin, has said that the party is ready for any eventuality if the Johor State Assembly is dissolved in the near future.
- Meanwhile, another Umno source said they were in a state of readiness to face polls if it is held in the near future. However, the party is waiting for “blessings” on several matters before seeking consent to dissolve the state assembly, said the second source, also part of the party’s central leadership.
- “This is the best time for Umno, BN to face the Johor polls after a comfortable victory in Malacca. “In terms of morale, our opponents are also unprepared to face this election,” the source added.
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/607440