- November 24, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The Sarawak state election will take place on 18 Dec 21 with early voting set for 14 Dec 21, announced the Election Commission (EC) chairperson Abdul Ghani Salleh
- A total of 1.25 million voters – including 1.23 million ordinary voters, 12,585 military personnel and spouses, 10,458 police personnel and spouses and 113 absent overseas voters – are eligible to vote in the 18 Dec state polls.
- Abdul Ghani said the EC has targeted a 70% voter turnout rate.
- The EC has also extended the polling time by 30 minutes in 346 polling centres, which will be opened for voters from 7.30am to 5pm, while the balance of 1,520 polling centres will operate according to set hours.
- He said that a total of 1,866 voting centres with 3,555 voting streams and 85 early voting centres with 111 voting streams would be prepared for the state poll. The Sarawak poll is expected to cost about MYR150mn.
- Sarawak BN, led by the late Adenan Satem, won 72 out of the 82 seats up for grabs in the 7 May 16 state election, while Pakatan Harapan won the remaining 10 seats.
- After the 2018 general election, BN’s Sarawak-based parties quit the coalition and formed Gabungan Parti Sarawak.
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/600459