- August 11, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The Yang di-Pertuan Agong has told Muhyiddin Yassin to bring forward the Dewan Rakyat sitting amid uncertainty over the latter’s legitimacy as prime minister.
- This was according to a source privy to what transpired at Istana Negara, where Muhyiddin had an audience with Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah before the start of the week’s cabinet meeting.
- “Tuanku has told the prime minister to bring forward the date (of Parliament sitting), that was it,” said a source, who spoke on strict condition of anonymity.
- According to the high-ranking source, no specific date was set during the meeting. However, it is understood that it should be called earlier than 6 Sep 21, which is the date which has been set for the opening ceremony of 2020’s first Parliament sitting.
- “The king also reminded Muhyiddin about the need to prove his majority in Parliament, and do the necessary in accordance with Article 43(4) of the Federal Constitution,” the source added.
- Article 43(4) stipulates that a prime minister is required to tender his resignation if he ceases to command the confidence of the majority of MPs unless the king orders for the dissolution of the Parliament.
- It was not known if Muhyiddin had given his agreement to call for an early sitting as per the monarch’s wish.
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/586717