- March 22, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- UMNO leaders should stop fighting among themselves in public, said party information chief Shahril Hamdan as senior figures continued to trade blows on social media about the party’s position with respect to Bersatu and the Perikatan Nasional (PN) government.
- He said it was normal for differences of opinion on issues of ideology, party direction or national policy but infighting over the party’s relationship with other parties is a waste of energy.
- Shahril’s comments come as Ketereh MP Annuar Musa, in a Facebook post, continued his attacks on Umno’s relationship with Bersatu.
- He listed seven reasons for party divisions, including disappointment over the lack of appointments to the cabinet.
- In an immediate rejoinder, former Prime Minister Najib Razak said it had always been Umno’s position to support Bersatu until the 15th general election.
- Last week, Perlis Umno created a stir by suggesting it will break away from central party leadership if the latter insists on ending co-operation with Bersatu at the Umno general assembly scheduled for the end of Mar 21.
- Subsequently, however, state chief Shahidan Kassim said Perlis will toe the supreme council line.
- As of now, said Shahril, the party’s supreme council has already decided not to work with Bersatu, PKR or DAP in the next elections, but to preserve its co-operation with PAS.
- The party, he added, has also decided to support the PN government until the next elections.
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/306613