- February 17, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- PAS will support Barisan Nasional (BN) in the Semenyih by-election but at a different commitment and involvement level than what it had given during the Cameron Highlands by-election, said party secretary-general Takiyuddin Hassan.
- He said this was in line with the party’s stand to defend and uphold Islam and the Malay race above everything else.
- Apart from that, the cooperation was also to continue its ties with Umno based on community unity and opposition solidarity.
- Takiyuddin said the clarification was being made after party president Abdul Hadi Awang explained his meeting with Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad on Friday to PAS leaders at a meeting today.
- PAS’ support for Umno and BN in the Semenyih by-election was thrown into confusion when Dr Mahathir said Hadi had told him, and given an undertaking in writing, that PAS will not be supporting Umno during the by-election.
- Nevertheless, the relationship between Barisan Nasional (BN) and PAS for the Semenyih polls is still good and may be better than what they had during the Cameron Highlands by-election in Jan 19, according to Hishammuddin Hussein.
- Meanwhile, Selangor PAS has received no instructions from party leadership to scale down their support for Barisan Nasional and Umno in the Semenyih by-election, said a state leader.
- The state’s election coordinator, Roslan Shahir said the cooperation level between PAS and Umno remains as usual.
- He said this in response to a statement by PAS secretary-general Takiyuddin Hassan earlier today that the party would only support BN on a smaller scale in the Semenyih by-election compared to what it had given during the Cameron Highlands by-election.
External Link: https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/133929
External Link: https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/133950
External Link: https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/133982