- July 26, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- THE Selangor government remains solid following PKR’s sacking of Mohamed Azmin Ali and other assemblymen, said the party’s top leader in the state.
- Menteri Besar Amirudin Shari said PKR has 17 members in the 52-seat state assembly, followed by DAP (16) and Amanah (8).
- “We also have three assemblymen from Bersatu who have given their full support to the state government. Even though the former PKR deputy president (Azmin) still has influence here, it didn’t affect us much when he went off track and left the party,” he told The Malaysian Insight talk show Insight Talk.
- Amirudin acknowledged that the duo still wield influence over some in PKR, but stressed that the majority is solidly behind the party, with most members subscribing to its reform agenda.
- “Their loyalty doesn’t lie in any individual. We previously lost a very influential menteri besar, Abdul Khalid Ibrahim, who was sacked from the party. Everyone thought when Khalid got sacked, Selangor PKR would not be strong anymore. But in the last elections, we proved that (we were still strong). We won most of the seats (in Selangor) and got the majority to form (the state) government.”
- Khalid, who got kicked out of PKR over differences with the party leadership, was replaced by Azmin as menteri besar in 2014.
- Members’ loyalty to the party is strong despite some defections, said Amirudin.
- “We still have branches (intact). None has disbanded, dissolved or changed their stance and moved towards Perikatan Nasional,” he said, referring to talk that the party has lost branches.
- “I want to stress that I’m in PKR not because of any individual. Not because of the president (Anwar Ibrahim), not because of the deputy president when Azmin held the post.”
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/262988