- July 27, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The Sarawak state election is now back on the cards after the government announced that it had revoked the emergency ordinances ahead of the expiry of the state of the emergency proclamation on 1 Aug 21.
- The revocation itself has been controversial as it did not go through Parliament, in a move the opposition claims is intended to avoid a vote due to the Perikatan Nasional government’s uncertainty majority.
- Sarawak DAP chief Chong Chieng Jen said with the revocation, the Sarawak polls must be called within 60 days from the revocation.
- With the revocation of the emergency ordinances, the new deadline for the Sarawak polls is Sept 19.
- Chong suggested that a localised emergency be declared in Sarawak to postpone the state election.
- The same method was used to delay past by-elections due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/584672