- July 9, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- THE Sarawak chief minister on 9 Jul 20 hinted that the state elections will not be taking place for some time yet.
- In response to a question on Parti Pesaka Bumipuutera Bersatu’s (PBB) pick to replace the Kalaka assemblyman, Abang Johari Openg said there was no hurry to name Abdul Wahab Aziz’s replacement.
- Wahab announced on 8 Jul 20 he would not be defending the seat he had held for six terms since 1996.
- “The elections are still a long way off,” he said, eliciting laughter from the Sarawak ministers and their assistants at a press conferance in Sebangan, Samarahan.
- Abang Johari is the president of PBB, the largest component of the state’s ruling Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) coalition.
- Asked how far off the elections were, he said there were yet more bends and corners to negotiate. The state government’s mandate expires Jun 21 but talk is rife that the election could be held in Sep or Oct 20.
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/259659