- April 21, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Parliament and Law) Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar is optimistic that the parliamentary special select committee on the anti-hopping law, can prepare a statement containing the proposal for the relevant bill within a month.
- Wan Junaidi said this was because the committee members are legal experts. However, he refused to disclose any discussions held by the committee which was set up to make recommendations on amendments to the Federal Constitution regarding the prohibition of MPs from changing parties.
- “It is not allowed (to be revealed) by the Standing Orders unless the report has been tabled in the Dewan Rakyat, then it becomes a public document. Only then can I reveal (the matter or the committee’s discussions),” he told reporters.
- He said the first meeting of the committee comprising 11 government and opposition MPs was held on 15 Apr 22 and more meetings will be held starting 22 Apr 22.
- On the suggestion made by former Dewan Rakyat speaker Mohamad Ariff Md Yusof that the committee should be chaired by an opposition MP in an effort to be neutral, Wan Junaidi said he had received instructions from Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob to chair the committee.
- He said the decision was made during discussions between the prime minister and Pakatan Harapan leaders and representatives of government MPs in the Dewan Rakyat on 11 Apr 22.
- Asked whether a special Parliament sitting will be held in June, Wan Junaidi said the power to convene a special Parliament session rests with the prime minister.
- Meanwhile, Wan Junaidi said he targeted a bill on the proposed amendments to the Houses of Parliament (Privileges and Powers) Act 1952 (Act 347) and the Parliamentary Services scheme and the Parliamentary Services Commission regarding the proposal to create its own service for Parliament will be debated at the sitting this Jul 22.
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/618700