- June 5, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Putrajaya will have to accede to the wishes of the public on setting up a royal commission of inquiry (RCI) to investigate allegations of judicial interference, said Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
- Dr Mahathir was responding to calls for an investigation into Court of Appeal Judge Hamid Sultan Abu Backer’s allegations widespread judicial interference and misconduct.
- Former judge Gopal Sri Ram had suggested that instead of an RCI, the newly minted Chief Justice Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat should carry out an internal inquiry.
- Gopal said it was inappropriate for an RCI to probe into the allegations as that would contravene the doctrine of separation of powers.
- Hamid had alleged widespread corruption in the judiciary in an affidavit filed on 14 Feb 19 in support of Sangeet Kaur Deo’s application to declare the chief justice had failed to defend the integrity and credibility of the institution in two alleged incidents of judicial interference.
External Link: https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/159356