Malaysia: PM denies proposed highway takeover on hold

  • The prime minister has dismissed media reports that Putrajaya has suspended its plan to take over four tolled highways because it lacked cabinet consensus.
  • However, he said the government had to consider the MYR6.2bn cost of taking over the four highways.
  • Dr Mahathir said Lim was convinced that the government would have sufficient money if it started to implement congestion charges for the four highways.
  • He added that the cabinet has yet to decide when the congestion charges would be implemented.
  • The MYR6.2bn price tag that Putrajaya has offered to for the four tolled highway in the Klang Valley is not final, said Deputy Finance Minister Amiruddin Hamzah.
  • The government he said, will carry out due diligence process to determine the final value of the highways.
  • A working paper is being prepared on the proposed takeover of four tolled highways by the government, which will then be submitted to the cabinet for final approval, said a government source.
  • The source told The Malaysian Insight that the green light would have to be given by the cabinet to conclude the deal.
  • In its report on 31 Jul 19, The Straits Times quoted an unnamed minister as saying the takeover of the four expressway concessionaires from Gamuda Berhad had been put on hold due to internal disagreement over the Finance Ministry-led proposal.

External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/172488

External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/172469

External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/172353

1-Aug-2019


Leave a Reply