- July 18, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Twenty-eight PKR central committee members and lawmakers on 18 Jul 19 hit out at party president Anwar Ibrahim for not standing by his number two Mohamed Azmin Ali, who is embroiled in a divisive sex video scandal.
- In a statement signed by the 28 senior PKR leaders – all aligned to Azmin – they said Anwar should focus on condemning the attempt to use gutter politics to bring down political leaders rather than suggest that Azmin resign if the veracity of the sex video is established.
- Anwar said he was shocked to read about the arrest of his political aide in connection with police investigations on the sex video implicating Mohamed Azmin Ali.
- Anwar told reporters at the Parliament lobby on 17 Jul 19 that Azmin should resign from his cabinet post as economic affairs minister if it is confirmed Azmin is the person in the leaked sex video.
- The leaders also reminded Anwar that since the reform movement started, the party has defended him against identical tactics using sex videos and other means of gutter politics even when the then inspector-general of police in 2011 declared a sex video implicating him as genuine.
- Zuraida Kamaruddin, one of the signatories of the statement from PKR leaders chiding Anwar Ibrahim over the sex video scandal, said on 18 Jul 19 there are clear cracks in the party.
- The PKR vice-president, however, said it is time for the party to heal the cracks and strengthen the party.
- The party should unite and find the culprits behind the sex clips, she said, adding that this is the best time for Anwar to act.
- Azmin reacted angrily to Anwar’s suggestion that the former resign by asking his president to reflect on what he had suggested.
- Anwar on 18 Jul 19 rubbished talk that the prime minister’s office is the cause of the tension between him and his deputy Mohamed Azmin Ali, stressing that discussions for him to takeover are on track.
- Commenting on the statement by 28 PKR central committee members and lawmakers who hit out at Anwar for not standing by Azmin, Anwar said he accepts their views.
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/169240
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/168970
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/169211
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/169254