- April 16, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Opposition bloc Pakatan Harapan wants the government to call for a parliamentary sitting immediately to discuss necessary steps to combat the Covid-19 pandemic.
- They want the sitting to take place earlier than the scheduled 18 May 20.
- “The presidential council is of the view that a special parliamentary sitting concerning Covid-19 is sensible and has to be called earlier than 18 May 20 as previously announced by the government,” the pact said in a statement signed by PKR president Anwar Ibrahim, Amanah president Mohamad Sabu and DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng.
- The PH council said this parliamentary sitting is important to uphold the process of checks and balances, which is a cornerstone of democracy, even during the Covid-19 crisis.
- The opposition pact also said in the event the government refuses to call for a special parliamentary sitting, then the 18 May 20 parliamentary session must be held for at least two days in order to allow lawmakers to debate issues regarding the pandemic.
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/238110