- September 6, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Pakatan Harapan chairman Dr Mahathir Mohamad is confident the opposition coalition can win half of the 25 parliamentary seats in Sabah at the 14th general election. He said Sabah and Sarawak have become very strong territorially.
- “We have in Sabah a party which is very supportive of us. At this moment, I think we can win half the number of the parliamentary seats in Sabah,” he said at a town hall session titled “Charting our future” at Yayasan Perdana in Putrajaya.
- Sarawak was slightly different, said Dr Mahathir, as it had always liked to be on the winning side. Earlier in a Facebook live session with The Malaysan Insight, Dr Mahathir say that Barisan Nasional could no longer depend on Sabah and Sarawak to win in the 14th general election after failing to fulfil the needs of the two states.
- Dr Mahathir was responding to a question on what PH planned to do to win voters in the two states. Research by Merdeka Centre in May 17 has shown that the majority of people in Sabah are feeling the pressure of a softening economy and want autonomy for the state to administer itself and its own finances.
- The majority of Sabah folk also do not wish for a split from the federal government, but want more freedom from Putarajaya. Sabah and Sarawak contributed 55 parliamentary seats out of the 134 won by BN in GE13.
- Dr Mahathir said so far Sabah and Sarawak had not shown any inclination for separatism.
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/13699/