- August 25, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob and Pakatan Harapan leaders have issued a joint statement, agreeing to strengthen the parliamentary institution.
- In addition, the four leaders also acknowledged the importance of an independent judiciary and good governance.
- The statement came out after a meeting lasting more than an hour, but is short on details on what changes will be forthcoming.
- The meeting between Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob and Pakatan Harapan can help change politics for the better but only if it can be followed up with concrete reforms, DAP national organising secretary Anthony Loke said.
- Umno vice-president Mohamed Khaled Nordin has also called for an end to prejudice by the party towards opposition MPs. Likewise, Khaled – who was a former Johor menteri besar – said any negative perception against the government must also stop.
- Of Umno’s three vice-presidents, Khaled was previously the lone voice who supported party president Ahmad Zahid Hamidi’s call for Muhyiddin Yassin’s resignation, leading to the fall of the previous Perikatan Nasional government.
- Former Dewan Rakyat deputy speaker Azalina Othman Said also mooted that her seat should be filled by an opposition MP.
- The Pengerang Umno MP, who stepped down from the post several days ago, said that this would be the best opportunity for newly-minted Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob to “get the ball rolling” for parliamentary reform.
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/588736
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/588688
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/588694
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/588598