- March 16, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The Pakatan Harapan presidential council has identified the problems which contributed to the coalition’s poor showing at the Johor polls and is planning a convention to address them.
- “The Harapan presidential council accepts the people’s decision in the Johor polls and admits its weaknesses. This includes the issue of multi-cornered fights among the opposition parties, logo, low turnout, and Harapan’s communication on issues which led the coalition to only win 12 seats,” it said in a joint statement.
- The statement was signed by PKR president Anwar Ibrahim, Amanah president Mohamad Sabu, DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng, and Upko president Wilfred Madius Tangau.
- “Harapan will strive to overcome these weaknesses and immediately re-strategise for the 15th general election. These weaknesses cannot be overcome by a single party or effort but needs to be done together holistically.”
- “Therefore, a number of measures will be carried out including a convention and retreat among Harapan leaders to revive the idealism of Harapan and its supporters’ struggle and to discuss the preparations for the 15th general election,” they said.
- The Harapan leaders also gave their commitment to building cooperation among all opposition parties to take on BN. “Opposition parties should not contest in Harapan areas which would reduce Harapan’s votes and indirectly increase BN’s chances of winning,” they said.
- They also pressed Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob to table the anti-hopping bill during the current Parliament sitting as promised. “The Harapan leadership will meet with the prime minister in the near future,” they said.
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/614570