- July 19, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- PPBM president Muhyiddin Yassin has a curt message for those in Barisan Nasional (BN): “Don’t dream of Felda being your vote bank anymore.” Speaking to reporters at the party’s headquarters here on 19 Jul 17, the former deputy prime minister said Felda areas had always been Umno’s stronghold.
- But as of late, the support of Felda settlers had shifted significantly to the opposition coalition of Pakatan Harapan (PH), Muhyiddin said.
- “We have received clear feedback that a large number of Felda settlers have given Pakatan great support. “That is why Felda settlements are one of our main focus areas.”
- He said there were over 50 parliamentary seats with Felda settlements, and that the opposition would be campaigning in all those areas. Muhyiddin’s statement followed that of Communications and Multimedia Minister Salleh Said Keruak, who said on 19 Jul 17 he was confident “grateful” Felda settlers would remain with BN.
- Salleh also said the opposition’s goal of winning Felda settlers over was just a pipe dream, as the Umno-led BN coalition had long been caring for their welfare through the granting of subsidies and annual bonuses.