- September 16, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Bersatu MPs have reportedly refused to back Umno’s Pontian MP Ahmad Maslan as the next Dewan Rakyat deputy speaker, causing a vote for the position to be postponed.
- The claim, which was first raised by Umno supreme council member Mohd Puad Zarkashi, was confirmed by Bersatu MPs.
- The Bersatu MPs, who spoke to Sinar Harian on the condition of anonymity, said the claim was true.
- “Bersatu’s position is that Umno must choose a candidate that is not facing charges in court and has integrity. We hope the candidate won’t have problems dealing with Bersatu MPs,” one of the MPs was quoted as saying.
- The report said all Bersatu MPs, as well as four independent MPs aligned to the party, had agreed to abstain during the vote.
- The government had on 14 Sep 21 postponed the vote for the Dewan Rakyat deputy speaker. Officially, it was to allow time for the creation of a third deputy speaker position for the opposition.
External Link : https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/591600